A vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter is an important tool in keeping our homes clean and allergen-free. This HEPA filter can catch microscopic things like dust, pet hair, and pollen. It is especially beneficial for those who have asthma or allergy problems. But you’re wondering: is your Shark vacuum cleaner HEPA filter washable?
The general answer is yes. But you need to know the correct procedure and rules. Do you know how to wash the HEPA filter properly? Don’t worry; from today’s post, you will know the details. So let’s get started.
First, we will introduce you to the HEPA filter, what it actually is, and how it works.
Table of Contents
What Is a Shark Hepa Filter?
A Shark HEPA filter is a specialized component used in Shark vacuum cleaners. HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air, and the filter is meant to catch tiny dust and dirt particles in the air as it goes through the vacuum. In other words, they’re experts at trapping things like:
- pet dander and
Some bacteria help to improve your home’s air quality and reduce allergens. Shark HEPA filters are an essential part of many Shark vacuum models. It makes sure that the vacuum’s air is better and cleaner. These filters are crucial in maintaining your home’s fresh and breathable atmosphere.
Next, you will know some signs of shark vacuum HEPA Filter that need to be cleaned.
What are the signs a Shark vacuum HEPA filter needs cleaning?
To ensure your vacuum works at its best, you need to know when to clean the HEPA filter in a Shark vacuum. That’s why you should look out for several signs.
- Firstly, decreased suction power is a common indicator, as a clogged or dirty filter can hinder airflow.
If your suction power decreased, please visit this post to increase the suction power: Improve Your Shark Vacuum Suction Power Just Simple 8 Steps
- Another telltale sign is a change in the sound of the vacuum. If it suddenly becomes louder or produces a different noise, this can signal an issue with the filter. Visual cues are also helpful – if you see a layer of dust and dirt on the filter’s surface or notice a decrease in the filter’s color vibrancy. It’s a strong indication that cleaning is needed.
- If your vacuum emits a musty odor, it could be a sign that the HEPA filter is moldy.
- If your vacuum is making strange noises, it could be a sign that the HEPA filter is clogged and the motor is having to work harder.
Regularly monitoring these signs will help you maintain your Shark vacuum’s performance.
Then, you will know – How to clean a Shark Vacuum HEPA Filter.
What is the best way to clean a HEPA vacuum filter?
You can easily clean your HEPA filter with these seven simple steps below.
Step 1: Remove the HEPA Filter
Locate the HEPA filter in your Shark vacuum. It’s usually in a filter section, close to the vacuum’s trash can. Get inside and carefully take out the HEPA filter. If your vacuum has multiple filters, ensure you only touch the HEPA filter.
Step 2: Shake Off Loose Debris
Gently tap or shake the HEPA filter to remove any loose dust or debris. In this way, the washing process will work better.
Step 3: Rinse with Water
Hold the HEPA filter under cold running water. Well-rinsing it will get rid of any dirt on the surface. Hold it by the edges to avoid damaging the filter material. Be gentle to prevent any tears or damage.
Step 4: Use Mild Dish Soap
Apply a small amount of mild dish soap to your hands. Gently rub the soap over the filter. This helps to break down and remove trapped particles. Avoid harsh chemicals or aggressive scrubbing, as this can damage the HEPA filter.
For washing, use any mild dish soap that you have on hand. There’s no specific brand or name required. Just ensure that it’s a gentle, non-abrasive dish soap.
Step 5: Rinse Again
Rinse the filter under cold water once more, washing away the soap and any remaining debris. Continue rinsing until the water runs clear, indicating the filter is clean.
Step 6: Pat Dry
Use a clean, dry towel to gently pat the filter to get rid of any extra water. Be careful not to wring or squeeze the filter, as this could damage the delicate stuff inside.
Step 7: Air Dry
Allow the HEPA filter to air dry completely. This may take several hours, so find a clean, dry place to set it down. Ensure it’s entirely dry before reinserting it into your Shark vacuum.
Once the filter is dry, carefully place it back into the filter part of the Shark vacuum. Be sure it’s securely in place and set correctly.
That’s it! Your Shark vacuum’s HEPA filter is now clean and ready to use.
How Long Does A Hepa Filter Last On A Shark Vacuum – (Don’t Skip)
The lifespan of a HEPA filter in a Shark vacuum can vary depending on several factors, including;
- How frequently do you use the vacuum and
- The environment in which you use it.
But, as a general guideline, a HEPA filter on a Shark vacuum can last anywhere from 6 to 12 months with regular use. But to get accurate information, check your vacuum’s owner’s manual.
Note: If you notice the above filter cleaning signs, wash them immediately.
Is Hepa Filter Better Than Other Washable Filter Vacuum?
There are pros and cons to both HEPA filters and other washable filters. Which one is best for you depends on your own needs and preferences.
- HEPA filters are best known for how well they clean air. Particles as small as 0.3 microns can be caught 99.97% of the time, which is helpful for people with allergies or breathing problems.
- HEPA filters are good at removing allergens like pollen, dust mites, pet hair, and more.
By catching tiny particles, they help keep the air inside cleaner, which makes the air quality better.
- HEPA filters can be more expensive to replace compared to washable filters.
- They require replacement when they get clogged or end their lifespan. ( look below for its lifespan.)
- They’re better for the environment since they need less frequent disposal.
- You don’t have to worry about buying replacement filters regularly.
- Washable filters can be cleaned and reused, saving you money in the long run.
- Most of the time, washable filters are not as good at filtering air as HEPA filters. They are not able to catch tiny bits well.
- They may not be as effective at eliminating allergens, which can make them a less ideal choice for individuals with allergies.
After that, you will know how often a HEPA filter should be cleaned.
How Often Do You Need to Clean a Hepa Filter in a Vacuum?
Please look at the infographic for – How Often You Need to Clean Hepa Filter
Finally, we are going to the Conclusion
Some Shark vacuum cleaner HEPA filters can be washed. But, not all models have washable HEPA filters. It is essential to check the instructions for your vacuum to see if it can be washed. If it is washable, cleaning your vacuum regularly can keep it working well and improve the air.
Read more: Why Is My Shark Vacuum Not
If you have a robot vacuum, please look at this post for a clean its HEPA filter: How To Clean Shark Robot Vacuum HEPA Filter – 6 Steps
Hello, I’m Ethan Mitchell. I studied Geography and Environmental Management at the University of Florida. I want to share with you the light of my learning and the beautiful benefits of research. When it comes to cleanliness, the home comes first, so I started my journey out of a personal interest in keeping a house clean.